Isaiah 61:1

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed."

Thursday, July 26, 2018

The Promise

Let me paint you a picture of what was going on with the Israelites prior to entering into the land God
had promised to give them…
Moses is gone – Joshua’s in charge now. A new generation of Israelites has come of age (all the ones who were filled with doubt & unbelief have died out in the wilderness because God said they would not enter into His rest).
This was the promise from God…
“Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given you, as I said to Moses.” – Joshua 1:3
So the commission is the same as it was with Moses, God still intended them to have a promised land flowing with milk and honey. He has already guaranteed them VICTORY!
Still, the greater promise I find is this: God told Joshua to be strong because He would always be with him – God promised His constant presence. This was the promise that would see Joshua and the Israelites through, even though God had to reassure Joshua several times!!! (sound familiar? It sure does to me!)
Joshua 1:5 – “No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you.”
Joshua 1:6 – “Be strong and of good courage, for to this people you shall divide as an inheritance the land which I swore to their fathers to give them” (God keeps His promises)
Joshua 1:7 – “Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you…”
Joshua 1:9 – “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
God had previously commanded Moses, not once, but twice, to also encourage Joshua (seeDeut. 1:38; 3:28)
These passages are so encouraging to me because I see that God knows that sometimes we need reassurance to take that step of faith into the unknown toward our destiny. That’s when He gives us encouragement in a variety of different ways, to once again remind us of His presence and guaranteed victory. The key is trust Him and not give room to a spirit of fear to bring doubt and unbelief. Remember, that was the downfall of their ancestors in the wilderness.
We have two promises to hold onto today – the first one is the same as it was with Moses and Joshua – each of us have our own personal “promised land” that God has given us. He has promised to never leave us or forsake us as we enter into our land. The second promise was accomplished on the cross. Jesus won our victory and promises that since He set us free…we are free indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment